Bibliography of UK Business and Industrial History
Some key facts:
- BHE is an online bibliography relating to the history of UK businesses and industries.
- it is relevant to a wide range of history disciplines which touch on businesses or on the products and services businesses make or provide. As well as the obvious areas of business and economic history, these history disciplines include: architecture, construction & buildings; decorative arts; comunications & transport; agriculture; retailing & consumption; design; advertising; accounting; finance, banking & insurance; etc, etc.
- it contains details of over 50,000 publications.
- these include monographs; periodical articles; theses; chapters in multi-author works; unpublished works; and selected product literature and employee literature.
- it allows searching by specific topic - corporate governance; entrepreneurship; social responsibility; comparative international studies; invention & innovation; multinational companies; etc.
- it allows searching by business sector and sub-sector or geographically by specific town, county, region and country.
- searchable countries include Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- it provides short histories of most businesses covered in the bibliography.
- increasingly, it provides short content summaries.
- it is a work in progress, with newly published materials being added and gaps in the existing coverage being filled.
- subscription rate is £35pa [reduced for Business Archives Council members and for postgraduate and undergraduate students]